Elizabeth's referral photo-we think it was taken in Dec'o6meeting Yan Hui Ling for the very first time-if you click on the pic you can see her look-"who are you lady?!"
our first photo together..I hate it. I hate seeing how utterly upset she was...and to be honest, John and I were doing our best to hold back tears as well...as soon as the photo session was over we both had tears running down our cheeks

look at that sad, scared face.
these 2 are from our 6 month mark

these 2 are from the 9month mark
look at that smile!


Miss Elizabeth HuiLing today -November 5th, 2008
when we look at her pics from 1 year ago, she is hardly recognizable to us. of course there is a resemblance and of course it's her...but there is something different in her now. it's not just that she's grown up....to me, it's her countenance. when I look at her "then and now" pics, I see joy now. I see the effects of love....I see a little girl who KNOWS she is not alone anymore...a little girl who absolutely LOVES being part of a family.
some quick fun facts:
Elizabeth -the last year has been a tough one on all of us. For you especially -as you were forced to leave everything you've ever known, everything familiar and comfortable. With a timid but brave heart, you came to us and learned to trust us.


I had to add this just cuz it's cute! :)
Miss Elizabeth HuiLing today -November 5th, 2008
We are celebrating Elizabeth HuiLing Day today, 11/5 because that is our official adoption day. We received her on November 4th, but she technically was just ours in guardianship...so we decided to celebrate the day she became OURS. that and because yesterday was election day and we didn't want her day overshadowed. :)
when we look at her pics from 1 year ago, she is hardly recognizable to us. of course there is a resemblance and of course it's her...but there is something different in her now. it's not just that she's grown up....to me, it's her countenance. when I look at her "then and now" pics, I see joy now. I see the effects of love....I see a little girl who KNOWS she is not alone anymore...a little girl who absolutely LOVES being part of a family.
some quick fun facts:
then:30 inches and 20 pounds and size 4 shoe
now: 33 inches and 22 pounds and size 6.5 shoe
she is left handed
she has HATED having covers on her...until about a week ago
she is starting to speak better and better..even other people are starting to understand her!
she LOVED music when we received her..and she loves it still -more than anyone I know.
she is pretty adventurous -much more than the other 2 kids
Elizabeth -the last year has been a tough one on all of us. For you especially -as you were forced to leave everything you've ever known, everything familiar and comfortable. With a timid but brave heart, you came to us and learned to trust us.
It has taken all of us pretty much this whole year to adjust and meld together as a family of 5. I was just thinking the other day that you have finally found your niche with your brother and sister and now the 3 of you play wonderfully together. You have learned so much...how to be a sister, a daughter, how to eat with a fork, how to understand and speak English, how to play...just play -you didn't even know how to do that when you came to us....so much in such a short time.
Even though this year has been tough and we still have a long road ahead of us, you have brought us joy and laughter. You are down right silly and because of that, you fit right in. :) Your smile is infectious and your laughter contagious. I waited for so long to hear that giggle of yours...and it still is one of the sweetest sounds I'll ever hear.
I love you Elizabeth HuiLing. and I look forward to what God has in store for us in this next year, as He weaves our hearts togehter even more.
To celebrate Elizabeth Day -we went out to eat at P*F Ch*ngs..but before we did, we let Elizabeth release 1 red balloon -signifying her 1 year with us.
after dinner we ran over to Se*rs b'cuz my dishwasher broke about 10 days ago and the warranty company is going to give us a buy-out on it..so while we were pricing out dishwashers the kids found a movie to watch. :)
20 comments:
Happy Day Elizabeth!!! I have been following your journey and I see the change in your beautiful smile. I know it the Love in your home that has given you security you needed. You are part of a wonderful family and I hope each year brings better and better things for you...Linda
HAPPY Elizabeth day to you all!! What a blessing you all are to each other. Your description is very much like Lilyann. She is 33 inches, and 25 lbs. She still eats more than Miranda! She is the more adventurous one too! Thanks for sharing so much. I wish you all a the best!
Happy Elizabeth DAY!!!! YAY!!
Sweet cheeks!
Such a beautiful post! It's hard to believe it's been a full year. She has changed so much and I agree with you...you can see the joy! She gets more beautiful as time goes by. You have all come so far and your reward is and will continue to be great. I feel so blessed to have been a follower of your journey!
~Lynn & Olivia
What a happy day for your family! You are right, in the pictures over the course of the year a light that was once dim is shining so brightly! Not just with how far Elizabeth has come but how far your whole family has come! It's so amazing how God has transformed all of you over the past year...it's just AWESOME!!!
By the way, I LOVE the last picture of the kids looking at the big screen tv with the giant bow in the corner....what a great advertisment for that tv!!! Too cute!!!
So glad you guys had such a special celebration! There are many more wonderful memories to be made! Blessings and love to you all!!
Happy Elizabeth Day!! What a blessed family.
O Jeanette!!! I remember this time like yesterday!!! I was following your blog. I knew we will be after you . That was big time for all of us!!!
Elizabeth! You are such a beautiful little girl and you blessed to have so amazing family . Congrats to all of you one more time! God bless you!!! KJ
Happy Elizabeth Day! You lucky girl, you get 2 special days just for you!
Oh Jeanette! You got me again. What a beautiful post expressing your inner thoughts and love for your family so well. I again, had tears running down my face.
I had you guys in my heart all day yesterday and we picked up Pei Wei's to celebrate for you in our own way! Silly hugh?
This brought tears to my eyes. Congratulations on one wonderful, growing, incredible year...and here's to many more together!!!
Wow, I can't believe it's been a year already! And look how far precious Elizabeth has come! This was good for me to see today. :)
Pam
Reading your open and honest thoughts about the past year had me smiling with tears in my eyes. What an amazing gift the Lord has given you in Elizabeth! It's so cool to see how He has worked it all together to give her a loving family and to give you a precious daughter. Yeah for Elizabeth day and I can't wait to meet her one day!
Pam Polischuk
Wonderful progression of photos! Happy Elizabeth Day!
Happy Belated Elizabeth Huiling Day! :) I can't believe it's been a year! She just looks so beautiful, and yes, I can see that joy, too...for she is no longer an orphan, but has her forever family...but is also being taught about her Father who was always with her and always will be. That is the most priceless gift you have given her.
On a side note,M truly does outweigh E - 25 lbs 1 oz this week at her 18 mo. check up (though the diaper may have been close to a pound by that time. =p)!
So happy for you all!
I could just kiss you! I just read that it took you over a year to feel attached. You make me feel so much better. Things are going really well, but I honestly thought at six months that I would be completely attached. I'm glad it comes eventually!
Those pictures? Adorable. Delightful. Cute as a button.
Congrats on the celebration of Elizabeth day! The time went soooo fast. It is amazing how she has grown.
That last picture is too adorable for words.
Happy 1 year home Elizabeth! You are a beautiful, beautiful little girl and I can't wait to meet you and your amazing family someday.
Before I even read your post, I watched the transformation in the photos and all I could see was the change in her countenance. Simply beautiful!
What a beautiful family you have! Blessed indeed.
Smiles,
Lea
It is amazing how God transforms our lives through our children. I have learned more about mercy and grace since we adopted our children.
Your post is beautiful, just as your family is as well.
I often look at photos of our children and how after 1/2 a week in country they already start to change... and then that first year.. what a difference..
I loved seeing your heart. :O)
oh my gosh. I'm just catching up while my computer is not misbehaving... Elizabeth has grown so much! What a beautiful little girl. Look how long her hair has gotten. Isn't it simple amazing all the change that happens in just a short year. God truly has blessed us with these girls (as well as our other children)
Love it!!! Love all the pictures. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. So much to be Thankful for.
PS I posted my first giveaway...let me know what you think.
Post a Comment