Tuesday, February 17, 2009

HE'S HOME AND ALL IS RIGHT!

Thank you to those that prayed for John and his team's safe return home last night.

He finally opened the door at 12:15am...after 9 hours of traveling -4 of them being stuck at the Mexican/American border. ugh. They didn't even get to eat dinner until 10pm last night. Thank God they had some snacks in the truck to tide them over.

He is beyond tired. He went in to work late this morning...there was no way he was going to be able to get up at 4:45am to make it to work by 5:30. :) I'm glad he went in late because it gave the kids a chance to see him. They have been spun all morning-just so excited to have their daddy home again.

He was able to fill me in on a few details last night and this morning....and I'm sure we'll get more over the next few days. There were about 25 adults on his team and they built a house, 11x25 for a family of 6 in about 25 hours. He said it was ALOT of hard work, but so worth it. The family they built it for was so appreciative.

This building project is sponsored by AMOR MINISTRIES and churches just partner up with them to send down groups to build houses. John said there were 47 houses built this weekend alone, in just Rocky Point. There is also another building site in Juarez, Mexico. There were probably close to 100 homes built this weekend between the 2 sites. 100 more families with a safe place to call home now. what a blessing.
John said there is actually a community where these houses are being built...right on sand....and each family is given a plot of land...and before their house is built they are living in a shack. John said it was so sad. Most people had little shacks made of plywood on their plots as they waited for the homes. What John built is literally just a house....no electricity, no running water...just walls. He said they did a little more than what was required...they smoothed out the stucco finish to make it look really nice and painted the trim and such.....just those extra touches that make the house special. :)

an 11x25 house, for 6 people, no water, no electricity...and they were so thankful and thrilled.

how selfish am I to complain about the shortcoming of my house? hearing stories like this can't help but make you re-evaluate what's important and what to be thankful for.

8 comments:

keelstar said...

I'm so glad to hear that John is home safe & sound! Can't wait to hear more about his trip. And yes, we all have so much to be thankful for...more than we could ever know!

Jeanette said...

YEA! Glad he made it home safely to you and the kids!!! Nothing like having daddy home!!!

awaitingmissemily said...

We as Americans are very spoiled, we do not realize what we have. That is awesome that John got an opportunity to help build a home.

Chris and Sarah said...

I'm glad he made it home and you are so right that we are so stinkin spoiled.

Anonymous said...

Yippee!!!!

Pam

Davene said...

I'm glad to read that he's home!!!

Even though your children missed him dearly, what a great thing for them to see him doing: sacrificing his time and comfort to make such a tangible difference in the world. That's a powerful example!

Somewhere In The Sun said...

So glad he's home safe and sound. Nothing like hearing about or seeing something like that to put your own life in perspective. I remember feeling that way when I saw the women washing clothes outside in the freezing water in China. I think of them often and never complain about my laundry now! We are so blessed.

~Lynn

Robin said...

So glad to hear John made it home ok. I didn't comment but I did lift up a prayer for him, his group and for you and the kids last night.

 

  © Blog Design by Blogs For BabiesClick Here for your new Design! 2007

Back to TOP